Runaway88LTD

FLIGHTS | FASHION | FITNESS | FOOD

Search This Blog

Thursday 9 November 2017

Heavenly Himalayas- Solo Female Trekking


I had the most amazing experience trekking in Pokhara, Nepal, I ventured up to the top of Poon Hill with Malla Travels. My trekking guide was Hira and she was literally my hero.


Just to give you a bit more info about the Nepalese economy, women are finding it very hard to work, they are the ones that do most of the manual labour, carrying bricks and cement in baskets etc, there are not many prospects for them. So for a woman (a heroine) to have her own skilled business that allows other women to trek and travel feeling comfortable and safe is outstanding. I would recommend Hira to anyone thinking of doing a trek in Nepal.


                 Okay enough about my love for Hira, now on to how phenomenal my trek was!
 


I decided to fly to Pokhara from Kathmandu as I could not bare the Nepalese traffic. I will explain in great detail the torturous, mind numbing, life stealing coach journey we endured from Chitwan Jungle to Kathmandu in my next post, but for now let's not relive that experience... Positive thoughts Naomi, positive thoughts. ANYWHOOOOOO I decided to dodge that bullet and instead spend an extra 150 dollars to avoid wasting two days on travelling. I journeyed on the tiniest aircraft to Pokhara which only took 25 mins!!! AND it made me feel like I was living that jet life. Yassssssss!


I arrived in Pokhara early as you apparently only need to get the airport 30 minutes before your flight, any more than that is absurd?! Obviouslyyyyy I didn't get the memo -_- so they pitied me and put me on the earlier flight. It meant that I had to wait for my ride on the other side but I really didn't care. When I arrived I was greeted by palm trees and clear skies, no pollution and clean streets I felt like I was finally on holiday. When my ride showed up I was given two options to either get in a cab or ride like a Nepalese Queen and jump on the back of his scooter WITH my backpack. SOOOOO obviously I rode like a Nepalese Queen. ps. I saw the youtube video a month before I traveled so I knew there was only one answer- this was fate!




I had the day to explore, I found a coffee shop with the most amazing views, I wrote love letters to myself (which might also be the start of a book someday) and fully enjoyed the moment.
 
 


When I got back to the hotel Hira was there waiting for me, so that we could go over the trek and check all my documentation. Afterwards she kindly showed me some of Pokhara's sites :) we went to Davis Falls, and Gupteshwor caves. Both were really cool but I must say if you miss them it's not the end of the world.




I would urge anyone going to Nepal to head to Pokhara, it's so beautiful and serene. Plus, there are so many restaurants, bars and coffee shops where you can have a break and just enjoy life.

MAJOR SIDENOTE: One thing I had to buy before I set off on my adventures was salt -_-  2 days before my arrival in Pokhara I met a woman in Chitwan jungle who had just tried to complete the Poon Hill trek. She literally tried to put the fear of God in me. Her and her husband had quit the trek due to being bitten by so many leeches!!!! Luckily, no one can stop me from doing anything once my mind is set so I bought salt, soaked my thick knee high socks in them over night and sprinkled them with salt everyday and guess what I had no leech bites! YAYAYAYYYA! I also wore leggings, hiking trousers, another pair of socks, two tops, a fleece, a raincoat and a hat lol so there was literally no way in.


The Trek 

Day 1
Before setting off I had to take out more "necessary trekking supplies" - which really means things I should have left at home lol - out of my backpack and leave them at the hotel as this was where I would be returning. You ask why? Well lets just say I am a great packer but I am not a light packer. My backpack was at least 10kg which is fine if you're walking to and from modes of transport but NOT when you are the mode of transport lol.

We set out at 8am to Nayapul (the starting point), Hira decided as we only had 3 days we would do the circuit anti-clockwise. The cost of the trek was $250- all meals were included in the price just not drinks. Which was actually fine because as much as you want to stay hydrated you also do not want to pee so you know everything in moderation lol.


 After a rocky journey, and cockroaches on my neighbors seat (don't ask) we arrived at our start point.


     

On this day we only walked 4km which actually felt like longer as it was mostly up hill and I was also getting used to the terrain and the altitude. Although I had been in Nepal for over 2 weeks, I hadn't been thousands of metres above sea level yet, so yeh go figure.

One new term I learnt on this trip was "Nepalese flat" this basically was Hira's way of making me feel comfortable for the next 45 minutes. Nepalese flat was NOT by any means flat. It meant uphill then downhill on repeat for roughly 45 minutes.

Along the trek there were so many cute places and such beautiful views.




This temple was by far the most holy place I have ever stepped foot inside. 



What do you know about being on top of a rainbow?????? Probably one on the highlights it was awesome! 

We then saw an old town and a small museum <3



Day 2


After a night of shivering all night because I was too scared to use the quilt cover because I have serious OCD issues lol. I woke up early, had breakfast with my new friends- apple pancakes <3 and lemon, honey and ginger tea HEAVENNNNNN! And then the clouds cleared and heaven itself appeared :). I got to see Annapurna South (7,219), Himchuli (6,441), and Fishtail/Holy Mountain (6,997). It was such a perfect moment! The crisp air, the pancakes, and the most amazing views!!!!




After putting my backpack on I felt energised and ready! HOWEVERRR little did I know that the next 10 hours was going to be spent trekking 23km, and climbing over 3000 steps (UPHILL!). I know what you are thinking... How, Why, Really??!! Well it was tough but amazing to be in awe of myself. The whole summer was a wash out and on those mountains I found a part of me that got washed away but I found her somewhere between the jungle, the 3000 steps, the salt on my socks and the sign that read "Welcome to Poon Hill". She was there as clear as those mountains, and as Hira joked I am her mount Everest <3 and after that moment I realised I was my own mount Everest.







That night I had a veg burger and fries YASSSSSSSSSSSSSS no more rice and veg lol although I loved it and was loving what this vegan diet was doing to this body of mine. The down side of the hotel was that because it was so high up and the weather was horrendous-o that night we had to bat away a swarm of moths that can make you go blind!!! Imagine!! So you're wondering how I slept with blinding moths swarming outside the window, well treacle the answer is I didn't- AT ALL (well maybe a couple hours).

Day 3
After little to no sleep I had to wake up at 4.30am and walk for an hour uphill in the dark, with a head light and while it was raining. Hmmmm cluck, not the most enjoyable experience, I had to swing my arms to a beat to synchronise my breath because the air was MADDD thin. Many people passed me, and then I passed them and that kept on happening until we got to the top.


I DID IT! 3200m ABOVE SEA LEVEL!!!!!





At the top it was clear to see that we weren't going to see anything not even a ray of sunshine. The thunderstorm the night before didn't get rid of the cry from heaven, instead a layer of grey smog filled the sky. But I didn't feel sad or feel like my time was wasted, I felt a weird sense of peace, like God was going to teach me something. Low and behold God did, the lesson was that even when the clouds come and you can't see a way out, you are still there just like the mountains in all their glory. You are still amazing, and strong, and most importantly your growth never disappears.

So yeh, I was ready for the day ahead, I felt invincible!

Another thing I learnt on this trek was: whatever goes up must come down. We headed back to the hotel had breakie, and journeyed on another 23km trek this time mostly downhill and Nepalese flat- which as we already established is not flat AT ALL. At first I was cooler than school until we had to pass 800- YES EIGHT HUNDRED mountain goats, not once, not twice but THREE times... well if you don't know me, let me telllllll youuuuu, I am not, I repeat I am not an animal person. I love them from afar but I do not trust their temperaments. So for me to pass 800 goats 3 times was not my idea of fun. But the rest of the day definitely was :)


    

By 4pm my legs turned to jelly and I didn't think I would make it, my vision had started to blur, I started to miss steps AND THEN a dog decided it wanted to by my guardian angel and followed me for about 30 minutes - luckily I took my rabies jab.

Once the tiresome steps were over and done with I could enjoy the rest of the journey, and we did. Hira and I talked, and laughed and talked, and laughed and then talked some more. By the time we finished I didn't want to say goodbye. Hira was now my friend, and I wanted her to win not just for her, but for all the women that she could potentially help make money and have successful careers.

This was the most amazing experience surrounded by beauty, releasing the old and breathing in the new and also proving to myself how fantastic and strong I actually am. 
It shouldn't take climbing a mountain to do that but sometimes it does.
Namaste Nay xxx






Share:

1 comment

  1. Lovvvvvvve this Nay! So many jokes and life lessons along the way. Plus a real humbling experience and very inciteful! Great piece! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

© Runaway88LTD | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig