Runaway88LTD

FLIGHTS | FASHION | FITNESS | FOOD

Search This Blog

Monday 26 June 2017

T- Town Turn Up! Toronto Travel Tips




T-town is my home away from home. I absolutely love it here (writing this while I'm still vacationing). 

Not only is it a great city but all of my mums siblings live here, so whenever I am here it is just an abundance of love. It's because of them that I am here every few years <3 


Before coming I didn't think about anything that I wanted to do because I was so busy leading up to it I couldn't even catch a breath. So what was the first thing I did when I got here? Jump on Time Out Toronto durrrrr- Time Out London is my go to I absolutely love it! There I was updated with the new hangouts including Kensington market and the Distillery as well as all the events/ concerts I was going to miss once I left (pissed pissed). I've been to Toronto 3 times now and I love it mainly because all of my family lives here but also because it's just a great city with great people. You will notice there's no suggestions of where to stay because I actually don't have any lol as I always stay with family... So this post will just include my highlights from my most recent trip as well as my fave things to do from previous trips. So here goes! 

Kensington market

Marry Shoreditch with Chelsea and sprinkle the randomness of Camden and you have Kensington market. I loved it! It's covered in street art and great eatery's dotted along the strip- you can't go wrong. There's also some independent boutiques, so spend an afternoon here and just enjoy! 



Here's some pics of the cool street art!





The Distillery 

Urghhhh there's no where in London like this place! I just love it! The closest place like this is called LX Factory in Lisbon(check out our Lisbon post for more deets on that). 



Anyway I digress, I digress,The Distillery is a converted factory area once populated by brewery's and now is a must for restaurants, bars and the best interior design shops EVERRRRR! My fave was Biltmore Furniture where I bought some door knobs (random I know! It is me though so don't act surprised) and the perfect wooden plaque with one of my favourite quotes from the Dalai Lama. 



There are also artists studios which have open days so be sure to keep an eye out on their calendar as they frequently have art fairs to sell art work from the resident artists. They also have a theatre showing alternative shows and performances- there's tons to do. We spent so much time here that we ditched the Royal Ontario Museum so that we could have another cocktail and enjoy the moment.



We drank and ate at El Citron- literally the best sangria I have ever had and the best churros EVER EVER EVER! Everything looked amazing so if you want tapas be sure to go here. Plus the decor is so frigging good both inside and outside. Be prepared to wait in the queue though as it's not a secret how great this place is.



There's also a love lock Love sign where you can lock in your love with your partner or bestie or fave cousin as I did <3. 


CN Tower 

Well we went here the first day as we were eager to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere buttttttt we were caught by surprise when the cost of both our tickets AFTER TAX (don't forget that grim reaper, because it will stab you in the back when you're not looking) was $80 sooooooo obviously I moon walked out of there like Michael. 



However, I came back and booked a table for lunch because for $20 more each we can have a super fabulous meal at the 360 restaurant as well as witnessing the amazing views. 


We returned and had a sublime meal. The manager; Bailey took care of us by showing us the wine cellar and giving us complimentary starters. We were taken care of tremendously and had a great time. Honestly, this was the best food that I had in T- town and the wine was fabulous too. A cool fact the wine cellar is in the Guinness book of records as it is the highest wine cellar in the world. While you dine you get to see a complete 360 view of Toronto and the rooftops of every skyscraper in town. It really was beautiful.
   




Here's a sped up vid from our table showing it actually moving!!!



Here's the view from the very top!!! eekkkkk! My ears actually started to pop and I felt so nauseous. 


Pinete 

I will never get used to saying this word properly... anyway have some it's a Toronto delicacy. It's basically fries, gravy and cheese. Not the best thing in the world but you have to try it. We went to Astor jacks downtown which has a great outdoor area and if you want to watch any sports it's the perfect place for you.




Watch a game! 

So in Canada everything is different when it comes to sport. If you are going to watch a game you have to make it either baseball or hockey, as they are the top 2 sports in Canada.


Blue Jays Stadium 

My first time in Canada, my cousin hooked us up with some tickets to watch the Blue Jays in their home stadium. It was so cool! I loved it- granted the sport is a bit slow for me but with all the Mexican waves, loud trumpet noises with announcements and a patriotic crowd you cant really go wrong. I haven't yet watched a hockey game but 100% that's on my list for next time. 

Pic from a 2009 game :)

Wonderland

If you love amusement parks go go go to wonderland. IT IS HUGEEEE and the rides are better than any I've ever been on. They're insane! I thought I was going to lose hair follicles, eye balls and teeth. I'm possibly the worst person to sit next to on a ride I will burst your eardrums. 




Niagara Falls

It is definitely a wonder to witness. Nature captivates me on a normal day so when I'm out in front of something as breath taking as this I'm dumb founded. It's everything you want it to be. Nature truly at its finest. You have to see it otherwise honestly don't even come to T-town. Here's pics from my 2009 trip. 





Dundas Square (times squares younger and not as smart younger brother) 

I mean you can skip it but if you're one for shopping and being in the hustle and bustle go! It's something to do in the day you will get some cute pics and if it's summer time there will be something going on. I went whilst the BBQ Festival was on- I mean beer and fries what's not to like about that. 




Royal Ontario Museum

Toronto is swamped with galleries and museums but this is one you can't miss. Firstly the building is gorgeous and secondly the exhibitions and events are bloody fantastic. Tip: go on a Wednesday evening between 6-9pm because it's free :) #ThankMeLater #Drake



Have a Drink or Two or Three lols

Line your stomach with some great food at Baro and head over to Escobar a private club just on top of the restaurant. They will ask for a password so if you don't know it either ask someone on the table next to you if they are going and know it, or just give them your finest London accent- that always works ;). Have a cocktail or two here and shake a leg with some of T-towns cool cats. 






GO GO GO to The Drake Hotel. It is the place in T-town! Rumor has that's where Drake got his name from. It is a really cool and trendy hotel- The breakfast is fantastic so I imagine the dinner is too. I suggest you go there for dinner and then head to the bar for drinks and to shake a leg. My Aunty used to go here in her hay day and it still remains to be the spot for most Torontonians today!





Make a friend (or visit family)

My first trip to T-town I made a friend and like honestly (God this accent is getting to me- you will hear this phrase used A LOT) he is one of the funniest guys I know. Although I didn't get to see him this time around, I am blessed because I have an abundance of family here. BTW the whole point of my trip was to witness my gorgeous cousin get married. See a bridal shower pic below :)


I'm privileged to see the quality of life you can have just out of the main city. It will change your perspective, granted the cost of living in Toronto is high (higher than London) but the sizes of the houses, the quiet and clean neighborhoods, as well as the lack of kids "hanging" around is simply delightful to see and definitely makes me aspire to have more especially for my kids to be. So yeh make a friend, and get this friend to show you how Canadians live- you will cherish it forever. Trust me. 




Hasta Luego  (I'm learning Spanish now)

Nay x 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Runaway88LTD | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig