Runaway88LTD

FLIGHTS | FASHION | FITNESS | FOOD

Search This Blog

Friday 14 July 2017

Yolo Solo in Magical Malaga

Solo travelling isn't for everyone but it honestly should be. I have to say this trip to Malaga was one of the best trips of MY LIFE! I had such an amazing time with extraordinary experiences and moments of sheer joy. 




So how did this happen? Was this planned? Why now? 

Well with out using this post as my personal diary, I will say the last couple of months have been a roller coaster to say the least - Lord knows! So it got to a point where I just needed to be alone with myself, my thoughts and God. So a week before I was set to go to Amsterdam on a girls turn up trip with my besties, I rushed on to Skyscanner searched London to everywhere for my specified dates and looked for the cheapest and hottest destination. After checking the weather and seeing temperatures of 30,31,29, and 30 I high jumped over to booking.com to see the damage on the apartments- after a nice surprise I was sold. Malaga I was coming for you. 

Now I love my girls soooooo much, but sometimes you just know what you need and what I needed was to be surrounded by so much beauty that nothing else mattered. Everyone has their vices mine is nature, I find it so humbling and magnificent. I look at nature and I see how God is real. I mean I could have made Amsterdam work if the weather was going to be good, but rain on and off for 4 days is never my idea of fun. 

Once I researched the Ish out of Malaga, I realised that this trip was going to be way more than I anticipated. But before I get onto why Malaga was a trip of a lifetime, I'm going to give you some honest and real solo travelling tips- this one is especially for the ladies (in my smooth Jenny Francis voice) 

1) Go somewhere that's familiar or where you at least know the language. This is so important, the last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable or constantly misunderstood this will make you feel lonely in the worst sense. That's why Spain for me was perfect! As you know I've been to Spain quite a lot over the last couple years and I'm also learning Spanish so I can easily get by. Also stay in the city centre if possible so it's easy for you to get around. Where I stayed was perfect and was within walking distance to everywhere!!!

2) Leap, jump and fly. Do something remarkable and be in awe of yourself, as well as something greater and bigger than you. As I said, nature is this for me, it humbles me to the point that I feel insignificant and so do my problems. It also reminds me that every second I spend sad, angry or frustrated is a second away from appreciating life, beauty and God. 

3) Remember you are on you own. Ladies always stay safe. If you go somewhere you don't feel completely comfortable then wear a wedding ring and if anyone asks just say your husband is at a conference and so you decided to explore the city instead of staying in the hotel room. Also don't be too sexy I know that sounds soooo wrong but it's real I wore a red dress one night- I mean I was going to a flamenco show and I had to look the part- durrrrr! Anyway the attention and mumbles of "fuego" got annoying and a bit uncomfortable after a while. When you have to walk back to your apartment by yourself it's not the best. However, if you feel completely safe like I did then go for it.

4) Life will still be life. As much as you are away and you're being fierce and brave and completely steering your ship, life will still be life. Meaning you will still have moments of sadness, or you will remember whatever it is you were running away from. Because as we know oh too well in the event that you are running away, you are also running into something else and most of the time it's exactly what you are trying to escape from. You will face it head on and you will have to deal with it. But it will be worth it, it will be what you need and you will still enjoy every second of your holiday because you are there and you have to make the most of now. Or as my favourite bracelet says you will realise "el futuro es hoy" which translates to "the future is now/today" don't waste time on dwelling on yesterday. So dry your eyes and keep it moving. Side note. Ever wondered why we are called Runaway88? Well it's because when we were younger we did this A LOT! So trust me this comes from a place of ex-tra-perience lol. 

5) Speak to everyone! Well not everyone- but you know what I mean. I was luckily approached by an amazing woman- Susan- whilst on my hike and she made it so much more enjoyable. We laughed together, cried together, drank together and stood in silence together. Sometimes a great encounter with a stranger is all you need. Thank you Susan for your friendship and company. You're amazing x


Anyway enough talk! Let's get onto the beauty that is Malaga!!!! So I'm a complete control freak so I planned the whole weekend before I left - I knew train/bus times even bought the tickets and also knew when I was eating out and when I should cook at the apartment. I love itineraries! Lol

First where to stay!

I found the most amazing apartment called Apartmentos Malaga Picasso on booking.com. It sleeps 4 and was only £174 for 3 nights up front, or £195 pay when you get there. I fell in love and it was in the perfect location. It was within walking distance to everything in Malaga. The apartment owner Jose was so helpful and let me message him on whatsapp whenever I needed to. Honestly I can't recommend this place anymore. 

Here's some pics: 


          

Views from my balcony!!! 
   

THINGS TO DO 

So if you are like me love nature and love walking. These are a must! 

Caminito del Rey (walk of the king) 
Honestly, one of the most amazing things I have ever done. So humbling to be surrounded by so much beauty, I was in a constant state of prayer, "thank you God" probably left my lips about 146 times. A bit of herstory, this used to be the most dangerous foot path in the world and before its renovation 5 people had died doing this 8km walk. Thankfully it's super safe now and I had the opportunity to experience its epicness. For only €11 and a €9 return train ticket from Malaga city centre it's a no brainier. These pics don't even do it justice. 




       



   


   


   

   

After this magical experience we sat down and broke bread at La Garganta, a beautiful little restaurant right by the station. The outdoor seating area was covered in a grape vine, and the views were just breathtaking. I indulged in a vegetable lasagna and a few cheeky glasses of Floris wine. It was just perfect. Susan and I (my new amiga) shared stories, secrets and really embraced this super special moment.


  
      

Life is a beach 
The local Malaga beach is prefect, its close, clean and gorgeous! The sand isn't the best but the water is beautiful and the chairs are €4 for the day. BUT do jump on a train or bus to somewhere else. I decided to go to Nerja! And what a great choice. Absolutely beautiful!! You are surrounded by mountains and hills, and there's so many restaurants to chose from when you get peckish. I will say again though the sand isn't the best but the view is gorgeous.

   


   

Rio Chillar
Speaking of Nerja... Rio Chillar now all I can say is you have no excuse not to go. It's FREEEE and you can cop out at any point. It's a long walk- 8 hours long lol I only did half but it was epic. Wading through the water, in awe of nature, and surrounded by deafening silence or an abundance of laughter. Its literally a slice of heaven. I have never seen so many butterflies and dragonfly's in my life it was so magical. Your calf's will be sore and so will your feet but your heart will be full and your mind will be clear. 


   




THINGS TO SEE

Alcazabara 
So I went because it was on every top 10 list but I could have missed it. I mean it was beautiful but what I have to speak about next blew this out of the water. 

   







Gilbafora 
My oh my! First of all the walk up the hill is PEAKKKKKKKK! Do not wear flip flops, or heels or anything but trainers. I struggled in trainers at one point I took off my shoes because the stone was so slippery. When you get there everything is forgotten and all you can do is focus on its beauty and the of course the views!!! You can see the whole of Malaga and you feel like the world is in your hands. Like much of the south of Spain there is a castle/fort like this everywhere. They were used to protect the harbour and shipping docks. There is also a viewing point that will give you some awesome pictures!

 



Magala Cathedral 
I mean I went outside but didn't go in as once you've seen the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona I don't think you need to go into another cathedral again. However, I hear it is beautiful and serene so if you've never seen the Sagrada then go! 

 

The Picasso Museum 
I didn't get to go but as Malaga is Picasso's birth place you should. I was just enjoying the beach way too much aka fell asleep on the beach and burnt my legs lol. Anyway, I went to the Picasso Museum in Barcelona so didn't think it was essential. Tip on Sunday for the last 2 hours it's free entry ;) Luckily there was a free exhibition in the main square, it was AWESOME!!! A superb photography exhib called Genesis featuring phenom photographs from all around the world <3



Flamenco! 
Watch it, dance it and enjoy it. I went to the Liceo in Malaga to watch a flamenco show it was really good but short and over priced. For €25 Euros you get the show and a drink.. meh. HOWEVER I was lucky that the flamenco festival was on at the Teatro Romano de Malaga. It was amazing!! A huge stage in front of the gorgeous Alcazabra, the audience were fully engaged and the energy was just perfect. I felt really blessed to watch it and be among so many Spaniards appreciating their culture and art. So if the festival isn't on I defo recommend the Liceo but if it is you can pass it and just attend the festival it was so much better.


The Liceo 


At The Festival




EAT AND DRINK


Eat 
Go to the Mercado Central de Atarazanas!!! It is hustle and bustle but you get to see the locals buying local, fresh produce. I bought some cherries for the beach and they were JUICYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! lol and the building is GORGE! So it is a win win situ!






Wine and Dine!!!
Omg!!! I had the most amazinggggg tapas at La Plaza Tapas! It was to die for, and perfect as it was my last supper. What a way to end the trip.



Drink 
Well two things you must have! 
Sangria - the best sangria I had was at El Pimpi it is one of Malaga's oldest bars and Picasso's favourite. Along the walls are pictures of all of their famous customers and they have named barrels after a few. This place is cute and very very Spanish. It is an absolute must! May I add my sangria was 2.75 Euros!!!!!!!!

  

 
Me and Susan again :)


Floris (local wine from Malaga) PERFECTION. You can get local wine at most restaurants so make sure you ask. I had a glass in La Plaza Tapas :)


Make sure you take at least one day to just enjoy being in Malaga. Enjoy the architecture, the people and the art. I walked everywhere unless I went far and I just bumped into the most wonderful things. Here's some pics :)

   


Guys I cannot stress enough how magical this trip was... from start to finish it was a dream. I will be going back again for sure.

Hasta Luego mi amigas 
Besos, Nay xxx


Share:

2 comments

  1. So happy you got to meet Susan, she is a really wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is! So glad our paths crossed x

      Delete

© Runaway88LTD | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig