Runaway88LTD

FLIGHTS | FASHION | FITNESS | FOOD

Search This Blog

Friday 17 November 2017

NEPAL: What a pleasure and an honour




Well where do I start exactly? Nepal is amazing in every way, the people, the food, the culture, the nature, the views, just everything. So here it goes, this is going to be a long one...

PART 1

So this all started when one of our best friends Karla told me to check out a charity called ADRA UK. She had recently come back from Cambodia on a charity trip and had a fantastic time, she raved about how immersive it was, how she saw exactly where the money was spent on the trip went, and how it benefited the people they were there to assist. I contacted them straight away and Sophie (the project leader) kindly kept me in the loop with the next project which was NEPAL. I was innnnnnnnn and committed straight away. I had to do this.

At the time my reasons for doing the trip was because I've always wanted to do a charity trip, I had never been to Asia, and I wanted to grow spiritually and get closer to God. ADRA UK is a Seventh Day Adventist charity but you do NOT have to be SDA or Christian to go. One of the reasons why I loved our group so much was because everyone was from different faiths, and backgrounds. The trip itself was £1295 and this included everything!!!! Flights, accomm, food, water, excursions - everything. Obviously visas, and vaccinations had to be paid for by ourselves. ADRA UK is an amazing charity to support as they are not just there to solve immediate crisis' they are there to create projects that are sustainable and useful for the communities needs. 



So the project! The goal was to renovate a 3 story school that had been affected by the 2015 earthquake in 10 days!! It was a huge task but I couldn't wait to start! Plus there were 30 of us so the mission seemed possible.

I was literally counting down the days! There was still a lot to do before I went I needed 4 vaccinations, a visa, and a whole load of "just in case" medical supplies lols. For any of you that saw the videos on our instagram stories you know that I had something for every eventuality. Interesting fact: I am like this because I worked in a pharmacy for 4 years when I was 16 and my mum is a nurse. So I take my health very seriously.

BEFORE WE STARTED
WHEN WE FINISHED
Anywhooooo I don't want to talk too much. Basically the crux of this section is to encourage you to check out ADRA UK and volunteer abroad you will not regret it <3

Every day @ 7am we had worship which was also used as a time for sharing, and then after breakfast we were off to the project site and worked until 5pm each day. There were many obstacles that we had to overcome like when the water supply ran out, the children sneaked in to help while we were on lunch and painted the wall incorrectly, or new holes that appeared in the walls because they use bamboo as scaffolding and the only way for it to be secure is if they go through the walls lol. But nevertheless it was still so so so amazing, and we actually finished the project.

Whilst we were there working we bonded not only with each other but also with the children- they were the most special part. They gave me an unexplainable joy, and made me realise how much I have to be grateful for, alongside that was a heart-warming peace and tranquility. I could write so much about what we shared and their stories but I won't because they are just too special so here's a few pics :).

             

 
        
 

     



Included in the trip were a range of activities and sightseeing tours so what I will do now in the next part of this post is give you a travel guide for Kathmandu some of which will include things that we did together as well as places I went to on my own once they left, as well as places to stay and restaurants you must go to.

PART 2

Nepal is nestled between China (The Tibetan side), and India, but not far from the southern border is Bangladesh. So I am sure when looking through my pictures with the children you can see influences and mixes from all of those cultures. This is what makes Nepal so special it is so welcoming of everyone no matter where you are from. All of the Nepalese people I encountered made me feel at home, which meant so much especially when I was travelling by myself. This review will focus on the wonders of Kathmandu, for Pokhara please see Nepal: Part 1 post :)

PLACES TO STAY

Yatri Suites and Spa (Luxury) £ 58 p/n

OMG!!! I stayed here on my last night, so that I could get pampered before coming home. NOT only that, but after my trek my calf muscles seized up so walking was even painful! I looked like an invalid lol. The hotel itself is in the perfect location all of my suggestions are tbh (dusts off shoulders) all of the main tourist attractions in Kathmandu are within walking distance of all 3. 
            

The suite was incredible, I had 2 amazing beds to choose from and they were sooooo comfortable so much so I nearly missed breakfast because I didn't want to leave!!! Breakfast was buffet style, but it was really varied and super good, I had room service "Yasss kween treat yo self" fried rice in a comfy bed after a great shower and clean hair (AMEN). I literally felt like I was living the dream <3

             

       

        

NOW ON TO THE SPA!!! I had a full body massage which first of all was sincerely a full body massage (not like that pull your mind out of the gutter) I mean she got to every aching fiber in my body it was 90 minutes which was exactly what I needed. NO PICTURES here lol - it aint that kinda party ;)

Kathmandu Guest House (Mid) £41 p/n


I did not stay here, but I was so tempted to. It looked neat and clean online but can I just say in person (I walked past it a few times) it was even better. I would definitely recommend it.

Marshyangdi Hotel (Budget) £27 p/n

We stayed here on our first a last night, I would say this a comfortable budget hotel, a 3 star at best. But it did the job and the food was really really good considering. The rooms on booking.com are a lot nicer in the pictures- our toilet was broken. BUT compared to what our dorm accomm was like when we were working on the project lets just say it was an upgrade- not that it was bad but it was just super basic.





THINGS TO DO IN KATHMANDU

There is so much to do and see in Kathmandu and everything is within walking distance so my main advice is to walk, walk and walk some more! I am going to try to let the pictures speak for themselves, TRY!

Swayambhunath (The Monkey Temple)
This place is a must see! As you get to see 3 of the main types of Temples that are mostly used in Nepal by both Buddhists and Hindus. It is tourist centrallllllllllllllllll but you really shouldn't miss it. This was also one of the excursions that we went on with Adra :)


         





          


The Palace of Dreams- It really was exactly that. When there isn't a beach, a beautiful garden or park goes a long wayyyyy! I enjoyed sprawling out on the lawn and catching some rays in-between site seeing. It was so tranquil and beautiful x  


             


             

The Kings Palace- No pictures were allowed inside but it was gorgeous. You could definitely see the colonial influence through the decor and photography but it was still very much Nepalese. You can see where the Massacre of the Royal Family happened too, bullet holes and all.


These pics were all taken in Thamel on route to Durbar Square.

           


           

Durbar Square- I didn't get to Durbar square as there was a festival on and the crowds were just too much, I was simply too zen to deal with the hustle and bustle so I skipped it- I know but I was just too tireddddd lol! Try to go though as I have heard it's amazing.

PLACES TO EAT/DRINK

Reggae Bar Thamel 
This was such a cool little spot, cheap drinks, good music and the most interesting decor.  The walls were covered in old European movie posters and what we would call in London "tags" which were peoples names and quotes hand written all over the walls so that we all knew that they had passed through (woz 'ere). It was just great.

       



The Electric Pagoda
I loved this place! So much so I went back twice :) For a chilled out vibe, good cocktails, great veggie burgers and dope house music definitely make a visit.










Bhojan Griha
The food was great and the live entertainment did not stop lol. It was our last supper as a group and it was so great to break bread with people that were once strangers and I could now call my friends.


         

CHITWAN JUNGLE

This was by far one of the highlights of the trip! This was one of the excursions organised by the charity- it was super awesome.


We stayed at TigerLand Resort it was like a dream come true once we arrived after the second longest journey of my life! The longest one was on the way from Chitwan to Kathmandu... ANYWAYYYYYYY back to paradise! We were greeted with a nice cold drink, cold towels and food ready and waiting in the restaurant. Lord knows we needed to shake away the journey. The chalets were just everything, two huge comfortable beds with soft comfy mattresses, a normal toilet, no lizards, a VERANDA!!!! and A/C :) I felt like I well and truly made it lol.

We had a jam packed schedule, here's some pics of the things we got up to!

Sunset Crocodile Watching 





Elephant Safari- They were happy elephants and were treated very well. They didn't use the metal rods to poke them and they only worked in the morning and evening.


 
We saw a rhino!!!!!!!!








Safari Walk- Searching for Bengali Tigers and anything else that we could find lol. Lots of paw prints some as fresh as 2 hours old!!!! But sadly no tigers even though when asked what we should do if we encounter a Tiger, the guide said "Pray" lol.







 Traditional Dance and culture night x 


All in all Kathmandu was such a pleasure! Everything about it, from the people, the architecture , the food, the peace/joy, and most importantly the culture. I left full of gratitude, joy, peace and love. 

Nepal I will be back, baby
Nay x


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Runaway88LTD | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig